+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Language and rank name Warder

Chief is just incredibly generic though. Also our Warboss works differently, they only have absolute power during raids and fort defence, the rest of the time they don't outrank Ward'r or Grunt, unless it's a Ward'r that becomes Warboss, then they'll still outrank a Grunt. We've had some bad experiences with one orc outranking everyone and being utter tyrants so it won't really be something to be changed.

I've never noticed recruits having trouble understanding our current ranks. It's pretty clear what the Grunts are and what the Ward'rs are. Dress code further helps to distinguish them.

We'll have a Warboss on IPY3, we were going to hold a clomp on UOF but our activity dropped badly.

Problem with 'Wargoth' is that it's a word mixed with both languages, and 'goth' is also english. It's english definition is really not orcish, making us look silly.

Thats fine? I don't see how that is silly, Goth in orcish and Goth in english mean two different things. Orcs take words and debase them and twist them to fit their own uses. Your first post detailing how you dislike and think its our use of mixed blackspeech/english is really unfounded in rp lore too. Blackspeech was only spoken in full by high ranking people in Sauron's camp, most would just use it brokenly. This wikipedia excerpt details it better than I:

The Orcs had no language of their own, merely a pidgin of many various languages. However, individual tribes developed dialects that differed so widely that Westron, often with a crude accent, was used as a common language. A few words of the Black Speech are common among Orcs: ghâsh ("fire"), sharkû ("old man", leading to Saruman's nickname "Sharkey"), snaga ("slave"), and Uruk ("orc"). Another Orkish word is tark ("Man of Gondor") from Westron and ultimately Quenya tarkil.

When Sauron returned to power in Mordor in the Third Age, Black Speech was used by the captains of his armies and by his servants in Barad-dûr.

So my biggest gripe with your suggestions of Chief or Boss is that these are more widely used in everyday english than Warder, and are extremely generic sounding and invoke images of Native Americans/Police/Mobsters and other things.
    Last edited by Gnoth; 01-09-2014 at 02:07 AM.

Can we make a Fat Hed rank? I want that one!!! Seriously, I like Wargoth, it is fun sounds nice. Chieftain I like as well. I have no issue with Warder, however.

There are two sides to rank arguments: More orchish and better understood. Obviously, there are those who want more and more tolkien-esque words involved and those that want it to be easier to grasp what's happening.

In Ward'rs case and the rank structure as whole, it was decided that shorter form, uncommonly used english and easily understood won out. I personally enjoy our completely non-english words in the language but there is a line. That line is the actual learning of a full on new language and as we get closer to it, I feel like we lose interest from potential recruits. The argument that those potential recruits aren't worth our time anyways could be made, but that's another topic.

Finally, back when this was all happening it was because we needed changes to the rank structure in general. We had too many grunts and Boss/Warboss's were too few. We split Boss power into Ward'r/See'r and things went forward. The clan dwindled, so we retired See'r and here we are today.

+ Reply to Thread